Every Byways book is a story, but it’s also a game. There’s an educational element to this series of kids chapter books. Details in each story are borrowed from its assigned state. (As in the United States of America.) Byways will work through all fifty in order of ratification, so Book #3 covers our third state—New Jersey. Sharp-eyed readers will spot cities and towns, icons and emblems, famous firsts and claims to fame. Hide and seek. Search and find. Fun and learning.
Let’s give a quick sampling of details from Byways #3, Over the Bridge: A Zane Johns Adventure.
- In the first chapter of the book, Zane and Jovan find themselves at a crossroads because one of this state’s nicknames is “The Crossroads of the Revolution.”
- The Trenton family are all named for New Jersey towns: Logan, Newton, Quinton, and Brielle.
- New Jersey has more horses per square mile than any other state. A fine reason to give Bree four of her own. Two of them have state-inspired names: Hoboken (a city) and Honey Bee (the state insect).
- New Jersey is home to more than 600 diners and is known as the Diner Capital of the World. Naturally, the boys stop in at a local diner for breakfast.
- When Zane and Jovan ask for directions to Trenton Forge, they’re told to watch for redheads and dogwoods. The dogwood is New Jersey’s state memorial tree.
- What New Jersey sports team inspired the river monster Zane encounters on the cover of Byways, Book #3, Over the Bridge?
Are you from New Jersey? Have you been to New Jersey? Do tell!
When will we get to your state?
The release schedule >>
Introduce yourself to the Johns family for just 99¢ with Byways, Book #1,
On Your Marks: The Adventure Begins. Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo